We delivered the subject system to a customer with the exception of the PC that
we had Storage Manager (SM) installed for the DS6800 disk array. Due to some
inter-company fiasco we were not allowed to deliver that piece of equipment.
The customer reinstalled the SM software on another PC. The system was
de-installed at our site and reinstalled at the customer site by IBM and given
a clean bill of health by the CE who ran the diagnostics.

Last month I travelled out to the customer site (1400 miles) and attempted to
bring the system up to test it out and not too surprisingly it will not IPL
zVM. I get an "ACT0182 Activation complete. Load not processed" message on the
HMC. Although I don't know what this message means, I can guess that it is
because the operating system cannot be seen.

Now, I was told by various folks from IBM and the IBM business partner that
purchased the machine for the customer that any new installation of SM would
"discover" the configuration on the DS6800 and all would be well. That has not
been the case. Even when the new SM was given the IP addresses of the system's
two LPARs, there seems to be a disconnect somewhere. The customer has opened
THREE trouble tickets with IBM. There's some question whether it's a problem
with hardware, software or a combination of the two. I'm on my way back out
there to meet with the customer and someone from a contracted IBM Business
Partner to try and fix this problem.

My worry is that the current configuration might be, if not already, destroyed
with all the experimentation that has been going on and that I will have to
completely reinstall the OS, applications and user data. Does anyone out in the
mainframe world have any suggestions on how we can work through this problem
without losing everything on the disk array? Was I taken down the garden path
with regards to how SM works and its capability of assimilating the
configuration of the DS6800? Or does that statement have to do with importing
the configuration from a CD or diskette copy from the original SM PC (in which
case I'd need to know the name of the file)?

Karl Severson
Raytheon Company