On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:16:10 -0600, Karl Severson
<karl_j_sever...@raytheon.com> wrote:

>Our support team came up with a question having to do with licenses. Is there
>a license that identifies the SM PC to the z10 during the IML or IPL process?
>We reckoned that perhaps SM was allowed to boot up only so far so as to be
>able to be initially configured but when the time comes to actually IPL the
>mainframe there had to be a "handshake" between the SM and the DS6800 in order
>for the disk array to be seen by the z10 thereby allowing the IPL to proceed.
>Either that or we're still missing something that is in the original
>configuration file on our SM PC that isn't on the one at the customer site.

Karl, 'm not a DS6800 expert, but I can tell you that the SM PC does not have
to be identified to the z10, as the z10 doesn't talk to it.  If it is a FICON
attachment (vs. FC), then you will need to have activated the FICON Attachment
feature on the controller and the usual FICON configuration tasks are needed.
In particular, it means you need to have used the SM to configure the FICON
ports on the controller.

Alan Altmark
IBM