From: ibmmain <nitz-...@gmx.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Thu, January 3, 2013 12:38:36 PM
Subject: Re: RACF on an ADCD system

> And the DB2s are separately down-loadable from IBM-Dallas.  So you can have
> DB2
>
> V8 on 1.13.  I agree that ADCD does not come with it directly, but it is
> available.

So basically what y'all are saying is that this rubbish is nice to have. I
disagree, especially for remnants of userids that don't exist anymore.

In my opinion, if someone wants to add outdated software (even if it is still
supported) to their system, they better know how to set it up properly. We will
certainly not run several DB2s or CICSs or WASs or IMSs, only the latest, if
any. What I didn't mention was that I basically eliminated every activated IMS
class, all classes dealing with Websphere and z/OSMF plus a few others. If we
will run this sometime in the future, I'll be reading the books on how to set
this up rather than deal with obsolete definitions that may or may not have an
impact on something else.

These ADCD systems are not set up for migration from one z/OS release to
another
at all, so data transfer from one system to the next appears to be a must. I
understand that the ADCD comes with two releases of each (and I don't think we
were missing volumes). I am also aware of the different load parms (one of the
first things I checked). It is even mentioned on that website I cited (which is
the only documentation I have for an ADCD system).

>the ADCD has evolved over the years it hasn't been cleaned up properly and the
>team that build it is quite small
That's what I figured. An overworked, too small group that cannot keep up with
the demands, so they do the best they can. Which falls far flat of IBMs
propagated 'best practises'. As far as RACF is concerned, an ADCD system would
never survive an audit, even with mild auditors.

Barbara