In a "real UNIX", I'd use rsync with the -av switches. Given that such
do not exist on z/OS UNIX, I'd put the names of the files to be copied
into another file, without the leading /Service or /Zervice. I'd then
do something like:

su - #switch to root
for i in file.containing.list.of.files;do cmp -s $i /Service/$i || {
mv -v $i $i.bak;cp -v -a /Service/$i $i };done #copy changed files
exit #from the root shell

What this does is for each file in the list, compare the old ($i) and
new (/Service/$i) version. If they are different, then rename the
current version, $i, to a backup name $i.bak, then verbosely (-v) copy
(cp) the new to the old, keeping the attributes of the new (dates,
owners, etc) (-a).

You may then want restart those processes which it would not be too
disruptive to restart.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Gibney, Dave <gib...@wsu.edu> wrote:
> Normally, I apply maintenance to a copy mounted at /Service (or sometimes
> /Zervice :) and deploy by making a copy of the new root ZFS file (and the
> SYSRES :) and IPL from them.
> Let's say, I want to apply a limited set of fixes to a few executable modules
> and update a specific product without IPL.
> In the normal loadlib world, I would COPYMOD the modules, carefully refresh
> LLA if needed and restart the appropriate tasks.
>
> What would be the appropriate tool to accomplish this in the ZFS (or HFS)
> world? Some pax incantation?
>
> Dave Gibney
> Information Technology Services
> Washington State University