My issue with the entire process is that the ENVIRONMENT/EXPOSURE information
is hard to come by.
The information provided by the security portal is by FMID, not an English
description (e.g. IBM HTTP SERVER REL x.x.).

Makes it relatively difficult to determine if this is REALLY REALLY critical to
me, or just something to be included in my "normal" maintenance stream.

<snip>
Strangely enough the only thing I found to complain about in this incident was
the private notifications by phone/email to (in our case and I expect a
non-trivial percentage) incorrect management contacts for the corporation on a
holiday week.   These notifications provided details including APAR numbers and
descriptions which by policy IBM does not make visible in IBMLink and resulted
in a great deal of stump pounding and wasted time but did not actually tell us
anything we did not already get notified of through automated email by
previously having followed the documented procedure.  The notice which I expect
was inconsistent being made by many different IBM'ers and on a holiday week in
much of the world generated frustration at some sites including mine.

IBM has been advertising that customers should sign-up for the Security Portal
for some time in public including at SHARE and z University.
I am signed up and get email notifications when new alerts and files are
posted.  It works.

The recent arrival of an APAR with a higher than previously seen CVSS score
triggered activity that was not the expected procedure.  My only questions to
IBM on this will be what the procedure is and has it changed.  My feeling was
that someone called an audible.   If there is a procedure to proactively
contact sites when Alerts with a CVSS score higher than n are posted I would
like to know this and have the opportunity to maintain our contact preference
for that in ResourceLink.  If there is to be a notification I would prefer it
to have been simply "IBM has recently posted important security patches for
z/OS please verify that your company has signed up for the System z Security
Portal and reviewed them".   Perhaps the separate approval process for the
security portal could be eliminated or streamlined and simply allow any
SR/ResourceLink user with access to a current entitlement to view the alerts
for those entitlements.   I don't know if that is feasible but I do recall that
not that many years ago we had nothing there was no way to find out what the
APARs/PTFs were other than by bumping into them. So evolution here is possible.

The portal provides HOLDDATA/SOURCEID to allow you to check on missing Security
and Integrity fixes on a regular basis and to verify that as part of your
preventative service you have included all the current fixes if you wish to do
so.   It works.  It insures that only authenticated customers can easily get
the list of security and integrity fixes which is an interesting starting point
for someone trying to engineer an exploit.
.....Remainder snipped
</snip)