From:   Scott Ford <scott_j_f...@yahoo.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   01/29/2013 08:56 AM
Subject:        Re: Watching used space of a PDS
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Yep,agreed Tony. Most of the shops I worked in we did compresses nightly
or weekly based on usage and volume of changes. Most sysprogs did their
planning of PDS's correctly, sorta directories weren't that big of an
issue.

Scott ford
www.identityforge.com

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll
understand. - Chinese Proverb

On Jan 29, 2013, at 10:14 AM, "Tony B. AOL Mozilla" <asbabo...@aol.com>
wrote:

> Warning: Opinion of an old curmudgeon follows....
>
> Back in a previous engagement I was a rather mediocre and patently lazy
sysprog.  When a PDS ran out of space it was my clue that the original
allocation was too small.  Solution, make it bigger!

> An old friend priest once was asked the meaning of his congregation
nodding off during Sunday mass.  His reply "it's God's way of telling you
that you need more sleep."

> Product schmoducts, you need more allocation.
>

> On 1/29/2013 8:34 AM, Staller, Allan wrote:
>> These days, why spend the money for PMO. LLA will do the same job for
much less money!

>> <snip>
>>> PMO is a CA product (very old) that manages PDS datasets.  Provides
performance for PDS datasets.  The other product by CA I forgot to ask
about is PDSMAN.  It has some nice features as well. For PMO - I was
thinking if it is a very large PDS, then this might help with performance
in fetching members for the OP.

>> Many thanks. Now I know. AFAIK, there were some similar products which
'prefetch' members for very large PDS to improve performance and there
were threads on IBM-MAIN about handling PDS with very large count of
members.