Don:

A *LONG* time ago (20 years) I worked at a hospital that ran a MF and a LOT of PC's. Upper management (and indeed lower management) were hanging on by a thread because the MF system they BOUGHT was outrageous outdated. It didn't help that the MF management people were to say it nicely incompetent. The PC people were tripping all over themselves with users filling up their HD's filling up with porn. I left for a lot better job. The MF people just continued on their stupid incompetent ways till the MF was doomed to failure (another year). The MF people they had hired were scared for their jobs as they saw the writing on the wall. The tech support manager came out on top as he got the PC people but their problems only multiplied.

Ed

On Jan 29, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Don Williams wrote:

In my company's case, it's not a matter of asking our vendor to work with IBM. The vendor already works with IBM, but has chosen to phase out their mainframe product and create a new one that runs on PC-based servers. For various reasons, the hospital decided to open the field and look for a new
Electronic Medical Record (EMR) package across all platforms.  My
understanding is that there is no viable EMR package available on the z/OS
platform.  This made me wonder -- is there no EMR vendor who chose to
develop their product on the z/OS platform?  I expect that successful
vendors carefully chose their platform(s). If they are not chosing z/OS,
why not?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM- m...@listserv.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:01 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: mainframe "selling" points

Don Williams asks:
I wonder what percent were using z/OS?

I think you're asking what percentage of new mainframe customers run z/OS. IBM doesn't say as far as I know, but it's over half (greater than 50%)
according to what I've read elsewhere. That's in agreement with my
anecdotal experience.

With respect to the application discussion, I generally agree.
Fundamentally IBM is keeping pace or even leading in providing all popular (and even not-so-popular) application hosting environments on zEnterprise, and that's important. (Java is an example where IBM was/is ahead of the curve.) Also, if there's an application that isn't yet on zEnterprise that you'd like to see on zEnterprise, ask the vendor, and ask the vendor to work with IBM. IBM has been increasing its application developer support
resources recently, and there's a steady stream of new applications
announced every month, every quarter, every year.

Timothy Sipples
Consulting Enterprise IT Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com