As point of comparison, merge this with prior info from Timothy (comments after):
On 01/31/2013 08:32 AM, Don Williams wrote:
Interesting note from a list reader...

BTW David, IBM Main list membership is free. The only membership requirement
is to be interested in the list.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: david kramf [mailto:dakr....@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:56 AM
To: donb...@gmail.com
Subject: mainframe "selling" points

Hi Don,

My name is David Kramf .I picked your name as one of the participants to
this conversation that on the  IBM mailing list digest. Hope I am not
intruding.

I am a very experienced MF developer . I quit my job several months ago to
do more interesting stuff and trying to develop on my own. This is
impossible to do on the MF
platform because the MF is not accessible . You need to invest about  5K to
10K just to to have it  (legally ) on your personal pc based, and there is
no freely, updated and convenient
system where you can buy your virtual server at a reasonable price. ( I pay
20 dollars a month for a linux VS. This is a reasonable price ). So I
migrated myself to other platforms
(OS X , LINUX , RUBY ) where you can easily get access to development
platforms and can later distribute your product.
If IBM won't make an effort to open the MF platform for the huge multitude
of developers working and  developing around the world on LINUX ,
smartphones , and tablets , then the MF is
doomed.

Thank You very much for reading , and I will be much obliged if you send
this message to the mailing list ( I am not a member myself ).
David Kramf
Tel-Aviv , ISRAEL =