I agree with your points! However, at least in my company the
definition of "long range planning" is "next year's budget". We
literally will NOT sign ANY multi-year contract. Not even if a 3 year
contract for product X costs less over those three years than a single
year of a competing product Y. Gives you a good idea of management's
thoughts on our viability. Note, this applies to all systems: z,
Wintel, AIX, Solaris, Linux.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown