From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Elardus Engelbrecht
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SORTS on the MF and PC's

Skellen, Frank wrote:

>Ordinal Technology's Nsort program has delivered the best commercial sort
>performance on Windows and Unix systems.
>Nsort is a sort/merge program that can quickly sort large amounts of data,
>using large numbers of processors and disks in parallel. Unique in its CPU
>efficiency, Nsort is the only commercial sort program to demonstrate:

>1 Terabyte sorts (33 minutes)
>1 Gigabyte/sec file read and write rates

Please define all of above two demonstration points. Under what hardware mix
are those points achieved?

What do you mean by 1 Terabyte? Is it input, workspace or total mix of space
usage? How long are these records? What sort criterias are used? What character
coding are used?

Please define the read/write rates. Is it total or per file or what? Are they
on different disks? I personally would like sort input on one disk, workspace
on second and output on third disk while my page datasets, Ok, page files, are
spread around a few disks.

Since you're speaking about windoze and Unix, what are these workload/overhead
during such sort work. Can you still do work while that sorting is taking place
or do you need a coffee break? ;)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

prohibited.