On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 08:20:15 -0600, Kevin Minerley wrote:

>I found that zVM CMS Pipelines (aka SmartBatch or BatchPipes in MVS and
>OS/390) could
>handle almost any volume of data.   I know we used to "mirror" and manipulate
>multiple tape volumes
>on-and-off multiple 3390s using "stages" in those products.  Also analyzed all
>the AID generating
>keystrokes on a given node.   Never balked, didn't slow others down, and for
>all intents-and-purposes was
>practically "real time".

I've never used the z/OS equivalent; don't believe we have it herabouts.
but doc for the VM/CMS product warns:

    http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/DFSC4A01/4.4.193

4. Use DFSORT/CMS, IBM Program Number 5664-325, to sort files that are too
   large for sort. dfsort can be used to interface CMS Pipelines to this sort
program.

So, is BatchPipes sort perhaps just a front-end for a more industrial-strength
sort?

(Citations such as above will be a lot less fun when publibz gives way
to Infocenter.)

-- gil