That will only work for VSAM datasets. The information request by the OP is not
in the catalog for non-VSAM datasets.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Joe
Monk
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 1:22 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there any z/OS API to get byte file size for non-VSAM, non-zFS,
non-database files?

[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Unless you trust the
sender, Don’t click links or open attachments as it may be a Phishing email,
which can steal your Information and compromise your Computer.]

I dont see why you cant just call IDCAMS in batch (regardless of the language
used) and get the file size from the catalog?

Joe

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 1:16 PM Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> That wasn't what he wrote, but I agree that it could have been phrased
> better. Still, the question is relevant; if we (TINW) knew why the OP
> was asking and what was behind his question, we would be better
> positioned to address the underlying problem.
>

> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fmason.g
> mu.edu%2F~smetz3&amp;data=02%7C01%7Callan.staller%40HCL.COM%7C8b33a2a8
> 5ac64325bff108d7f833d3e5%7C189de737c93a4f5a8b686f4ca9941912%7C0%7C0%7C
> 637250773810991404&amp;sdata=Z1A39wHlVdhE9CS1wtMzsYhLXhF9xp6qNlnJ%2BSF
> IguA%3D&amp;reserved=0

::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission.
The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore
not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or
opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any
form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written
consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for
viruses and other defects.