It is easy to say that a COBOL program needs to “know” this but it is
nonsense since there is nothing a COBOL program can do with this info.
If it turns out to really be necessary then a subroutine can be written (as it
has been done for decades) to provide this information.
If the question is simply to bitch about why z/OS does do this automatically
via a call or something then the complaint is directed to the wrong group

        Get Outlook for iOS

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 11:43 AM -0700, "Seymour J Metz" <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

Because the information that he's asking for isn't in the catalog.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3