Really?  There’s lots that it could do?  So why not just read the DSCB
for how much is free and do the calculation that has been on every 3390
Reference card for 30 years
This is done all the time and in a variety of ways.  This problem was readily
assessed for decades using a subroutine.  This has always been something that
could readily be done until people start putting language restrictions on it.
It isn’t that the info isn’t available, it is simply that the information isn’t
available given the restrictions placed on the problem

        Get Outlook for iOS

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 1:56 PM -0700, "Charles Mills" <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

There is lots it could do! Make a decision on "strategy" based on the volume of
input, for example. Do I process it all or cut off after 'n' records and do
more on the next run? Do I read the file into an in-memory table and access
records there, or do I load it into a VSAM file for direct access? Do I invoke
an external sort or use an internal sort? Or a thousand other things.

It is wrong as @Shmuel points out to preclude questioning the necessity of
doing something exactly as the OP suggests. It is equally wrong to assume there
could be no good reason for doing it the OP's way.

Charles