On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 16:19:45 +0200, R.S. wrote:

>Q1: how it was in the past? I mean, were the DD * limited to "punched
>card" character set? Or it was always full EBCDIC if the job was read
>from DASD?

I believe EBCDIC cards supported the full 256-character set.  It was
possible to have SYSPUNCH/SYSLIN on card, even DD *.  Linkage
Editor syntax guaranteed that "//" could not appear in 1-2.

>Q2: What about character set on the cards? Was it always one and the
>same within S/360 family? I noted there were several character sets, but
>as far as I understand those set was for other machines (Remington,
>pre-S360 IBM machines, etc.)
>Was there any name for card character set? I mean something like "CP
>037" or so.

I believe there was only one mapping from punch configurations to
EBCDIC octets -- CCSID didn't matter.

-- gil