From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:35 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: COBOL Question

The only language I can think of off-hand that doesn't require some sort of END
to close a DO (I'm sure there are others) is ISPF.  But, in REXX at least, I
never use single-statement DOs.  I see them all the time, and I don't get it.
Like this:

  if x=0 then do
    x=x+1
  end

Or, more painfully:

  select
    when idx="T" then
      do
        countt=countt+1
      end
    when idx="U" then
      do
        countu=countu+1
      end
    when idx="V" then
      do
        countv=countv+1
      end
    when idx="W" then
      do
        countw=countw+1
      end
    otherwise
      do
        countx=countx+1
      end
  end

Why?  If it were easier to read, I might sympathize.  But it's harder, not
easier.

---

/* It's a good thing Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address the year that he did,
or else that "fourscore and seven years" part would have just been plain wrong.
 -Paul Paternoster */