From: "William Donzelli" <wdonze...@gmail.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Sent: 22-Jun-20 15:09:50
Subject: Re: 3 phase power question for the gray hair group. :-)

 Yes its true, but before you let a disk spin backwards, you checked the
 fans in the logic gate, they were 3 ph too. Depending on how they spun
 (clockwise or counterclockwise), you had the phases corrected. I never
 spun up a drive that went backward using that technique.
 And if it was say a 2365, or a 2860 or 70, it would power up just fine,
 then get a thermal since the fans were spinning in the wrong direction.

Are you sure about the fans in the gate being three phase?

Standard practice for IBM (or pretty much every other computer
manufacturer) was to use single phase fans, just tied across the
phases in a nice balanced matter.

Don't make me break out the Big Blue Binders...

Also, if I could post an image to this list, I would show what a
standard IBM phase rotation sensor looks like. I have a box of them.

They are basically just relays with three windings on the core, and
unless the phases are hooked up properly, they will not throw - all
the magnetic fields have to line up.

--
Will