From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2020 10:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Use of BPXWUNIX and CP - a weekend quandary.

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 10:12:55 -0500, Lionel B Dyck wrote:

>When there are more (I don't know what that number is yet but in excess
>of
>30 but less than 100) the shell input status changes from RUNNING to
>INPUT and will not proceed until I hit ENTER.  I've waited and ENTER is a must.

"Doctor it hurts when I do this."

>Note that this does NOT occur when I SSH into the z/OS system and run
>the rexx script from that interface.

"Don't do that!"

It's a terrible design, perhaps a desperate accommodation to the limitations of
TSO and VTAM.  Perhaps this is the reason that ISPF generally has no
interruptible progress bars.  CMS has no such problem.

In order to have the keyboard appear unlocked while a command is running, 3270
OMVS polls intensively (READ SCREEN?) and unlocks the keyboard on any
keystroke.  This is CPU-intensive so after a fixed time (wall-clock, I believe,
not resource use), OMVS pauses the running task and waits for a 3270 interrupt.

You've found a circumvention: use SSH, not 3270.

Would putting the command in background:
    cp -A -U -v /u/me/pdsdir/* "//'hlq.my.pds'" & ... make a difference?  The
status might yet go to INPUT, but the command might continue to run.

What about SYSCALL spawn?  A dozen more lines of code than BPXWUNIX.

Batch?

Years ago this was whined about on MVS-OE.  I don't know that there ever was an
RFE.  It couldn't have been resolved satisfactorily.

Dammit!  ISPF LM services should be made zFS-savvy!

-- gil