The issues are:

 1. What is the cost or risk of a false positive?

 2. What is the cost/risk of a false negative

 3. What are the probabilities for each.

Using a spam folder rather than rejection increases the risk of losing
legitimate e-mail with no notice. It also increases the risk that someone will
open a malware message, falsely believing it to be erroneously in the junk
folder.

On the flip side, rejecting suspect spam has the risk that the sendeer's e-mail
software is broken and fails to notify hime of the 5xx response.

Most of us receive legitimate e-mail from previously unknown legitimate
senders. Using, e.g., a DNSBL to flag tainted sources and generating an
appropriate 5xx can have a much lower risk than a spam folder or silently
dropping.

It all comes down to what has the lowest cost/risk in a given environment; any
action, including inaction, will have costs and risks.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3