From:   Walt Farrell <walt.farr...@gmail.com>
Date:   02/28/2013 08:05 AM

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:07:47 -0600, Steve Thompson <sthomp...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

>Glad it worked for you. I tried it with IEBCOPY and couldn't make it work
>at all (yes, I compared the example in the REXX book to the info in the
>"DFSMSdfp Utilities" discussing this for IEBCOPY).
>
>So I fixed my REXX code to only use SYSUT1-4 for IEBCOPY and where I had
>been using SYSUT1/2 to something else.
>
>I got tired of chasing S0C4 and other interesting ABENDs and RCs from
>IEBCOPY.

I hope you were trying that on z/OS V1.13, and not an earlier release
where IEBCOPY may requires APF authorization, Steve. Generally when REXX
invokes programs they won't run with APF authorization, and that can lead
to many strange problems.
<SNIPPAGE>

Actually, I was running on z/OS V1R12, and it works just fine when it owns
SYSUT1-4. But it kept having problems with the DDLIST being passed to it.
And it complained about the command being passed. Now it puts out a
message that it see that it has been invoked by a TSO Command (so it has
set up for the CPPL ? -- Sorry I don't have a current SYSOUT where it got
invoked for COMPRESS). And like I said, it works find as long as I don't
try to pass the DDLIST.

And I am aware of the APF issue (and why it must be so), so that was what
I was waiting for -- if I hit the S047 ABEND, I knew I had a show stopper.
The method of invocation that I used works fine:

>>  ADDRESS 'TSO' pgm 'COMPRESS' /* Invoke IEBCOPY and tell it to compress
*/ <<

Regards,
Steve Thompson