On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 15:59:40 +0930, Anthony Thompson wrote:

>I can only echo Shane's reply. I don't know why you are messing around with
>external utilities when SDSF Rexx provides you with the function you are
>after. Why re-invent the wheel?

I reinvented the wheel because I looked at:

    13.14.8 Browse a single data set

... the only topic mentioning "a single data set", where I saw:

                   Say "Now reading" isfdsname.kx
                   "EXECIO * DISKR" isfddname.kx "(STEM line. FINIS"
                   Say "  Lines read:" line.0
                   do lx = 1 to line.0
                     Say "  line."lx "is:" line.lx
                   end

... and believing that was the paradigm, replaced the "EXECIO; say"
code with "address ATTCHMVS IEBGENER blank AltDD"

-- gil