> you can use two (or more) ways - one for "exact, but unreadable
> copy", other for more readable copies, but not necessarily exact.

That is exactly what I do. ADRDSSU of everything gives you a perfect restore
with all the attributes and so forth. You can terse it if you wish and bring it
to and from a small system in binary.

Then the source and JCL and similar files you also bring down member by member
translated to "ASCII" (as FTP calls it -- please, no rants about code pages).
Perfect for many things and "good enough" for others. You can satisfy "how did
I do that before?" even if a few characters are corrupted, and worst case a few
CHANGE commands makes everything right.

Charles