AFAIK, jar is zip with an extension that Java recognizes.

Subject to management edict, windoze can run scripts in, e.g., Java, Perl, Rexx
(e.g., oorexx, Regina), Python, Ruby. If you have archiving software, e.g.,
Info-zip, then it's trivial to write a script to compress the relevant files
into a single archive.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 11:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: wc3270 or NOTEPAD++ help

Gil, I can't tell whether these are real questions or arguments.  As arguments
I don't know enough to respond to most of them, but I'll treat them as actual
requests for information and then respond "I don't know" in some cases:

G> How do you get your 50 files to the desktop side?

And right off the bat, I see I may have misled you.  I have these REXX modules
stored on my PC in plain-text files, usually named "<modulename>.mvsrex".  So
from the point of view of me trying to copy them to a new client's mainframe,
they started on the desktop side.

G> How many such sites lack a zip archiver on the desktop side?

And again, I see I was unclear.  (So many assumptions on my part.)  For the
last 10 years or so my work has been almost entirely remote.  With many clients
I have to spend the first week on-site just so they know I'm a real person, but
when I'm talking about uploading my tools to the mainframe I mean directly from
~my~ PC.

G> How many such sites lack jar on the z side?

No idea.  In the context of this thread I have no difficulty remembering that
jar is some kind of compression scheme (isn't it?).  But I don't think I've
ever used it.

G> How many such sites have a version of Rexx on the desktop side?

I pause in befuddlement.  Not many that I know of; I had to get my boss'
permission to download a copy of Regina REXX in order to write him a
handy-dandy tool once (it read great gulps of firewall logs to determine likely
sources of virus infection).  But how is the question relevant to the issue of
transferring mainframe-REXX modules from the desktop to the mainframe?

G> How do you deal with ASCII<->EBCDIC?  How do you deal with <CR><LF>?

IND$FILE handles those.  Ah, but in case I've found yet another way to be
unclear, let me do better:  The multi-file-transfer scheme I was talking about
is not a single file that contains all the files I want to transfer,
concatenated together, with ways of handling filenames, EOF, EOL etc; it is a
list of filenames, with special characters delimiting the filenames, the
transfer methods for each and so on.  So maybe each line has a lower-case 'a'
to start, then a path and filename, then two hex 00s, followed by 'B' or 'T'
(for binary or ASCII); the next three characters can be anything, but after
that...and so on.  If I use the emulator's method to create a three-file
transfer definition, and then examine the file it creates, I can (sometimes)
imitate that syntax and create a file of my own using (say) VBScript.

G> Does IBM consider IND$FILE supported?

I've always assumed so.  I used to be able to initiate file transfers by typing
the IND$FILE command manually at the READY prompt or at option 6, ignoring the
emulator entirely; doesn't that mean it's supported in TSO?

---

/* -from _A Pilgrim's Regress_ by C S Lewis:
John: Well, you would not assure me that it was anything real.
Reason: Nor that it was not.
John:  But I must think it is one or the other.
Reason:  By my father's soul, you must NOT -- until you have some evidence.
Can you not remain in doubt?
John:  I don't know that I have ever tried.
Reason:  You must learn to, if you are to come far with me.... */