A common paranoia is to not enable the mainframe side ftp server. And, the
native Windows ftp client does not do encryption.
On the issue of multiple files to transfer,  Sri has provided a good way that
should work on any level of Windows to consolidate the file(s) into one stream.
If we assume Windows 10, then there are several other 'nix variations for
consolidation.
And, eventually having an IEBUPDTE processable file on the mainframe seems a
good idea.