W dniu 19.02.2021 o 00:12, Frank Swarbrick pisze:
Who audits the auditors?
:-)

I think this is really important and it will take place in the future. Or just some feedback process to report formal objections about the auditor and his incompetence. I met a lot of auditors and unfortunately I observe they are younger and younger folks with less and less knowledge. And the audit is processed to avoid any cost possible. Funny story: auditor demanded some report "as long as possible". It was really long - over 600 MB of text. However another demand was to provide everything as screenshot or set of screenshots.
Side notes:
a) screenshot can contain fake information as text file - it is enough to place false text file to the host and browse it. b) screenshot series is completely useless for browsing or searching some string. c) auditor did not understand the output at all. That's why he further asked for information already delivered on another screenshot. He just read some checklist and relay questions with no analysis about it's content.

Of course there are exceptions. I remember two guys, who audited me for two weeks. Knowledgable. If something was not clear, he asked for help - what command is proper to provide him such and such information. Note: he didn't want the output, he wanted a command to issue. And every "finding" was discussed - what, why, etc. The best audit I had.

And the most funny: an auditor sent by very big and very known company. He was really embarassed and ashamed, because it was his first week in this job. And it was hist *first job ever*.

BTW: I also conducted some audits, being hired as independent consultant. Mostly RACF, but also more general, including data center and some operational procedures. However my role was not to collect the outputs.

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
(looking for new job)