>We recently applied patches up through September 2020 to our Enterprise COB=
>OL V6.2 compiler.  Prior to this we had patches through September 2019.  Th=
>is appears to have changed how some code is generate, even though the compi=
>ler options have not changed.

Frank, this is unfortunate, but I have to say, we do not recommend running
COBOL programs with invalid data, and we do not recommend using ZONEDATA
with other than (PFD) as the sub option.  We keep finding new ways that
older COBOL behaved differently than new COBOL with invalid data, and in
the case you mention we had a customer complaining that the example you
posted ABENDed with COBOL V4 but not COBOL V6 with ZONEDATA(MIG), so we
changed the code.  The intention of ZONEDATA(other than PFD) is to mimic
COBOL V4, and this is a little bit of an ongoing process.  We, of course,
NEVER used to test with invalid data (data that does not match the PICTURE
and USAGE) so this is a challenging job!

The best way to go is to correct your programs and data to follow the rules.
For example, we had a customer recompile all programs in an application
with COBOL V6.1, but they did NOT folow our 2-compile 2-test migration process
to find and clean up invalid data.  The results o their regression tests
were OK, so they went into production!  All was well until they moved to
COBOL V6.2 to compile with ARCH(12) and exploit z14.  At that point they
discovered they had some invalid data processing that started causing new
ABENDs with Vector Packed Decimal instructions.

I recommend cleaning things up before declaring migration to COBOL V6 complete!

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<