Yes.  The code was buggy.  I was just interested to know how the bug had gone
undetected.
All is good now.  The bug has been fixed.

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Joe
Monk <joemon...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2021 4:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: COBOL V6.2 possible change in behavior with recent patch
level

What I find really interesting is that  this whole problem could have been
resolved by simply adding an "IF" condition...

 01  ipt.
     05  as-char               pic xx.
         88  as-char-10        value '10'.
     05  as-nums               redefines as-char
                               pic 99.
         88  as-num-10         value 10.

IF  as-char numeric
     IF as-num-10