Hi Miklos,
I'm making the assumption that your are referring to dfdss.
The traditional way of speeding up dfdss (adrdssu) copy's (or dumps) is by
using the OPT keyword.
I believe the default is (3) which is 5 tracks read at at time.
OPT(1) 1 track OPT(2) 2 tracks OPT(3) 5 tracks and OPT(4) 15 tracks read at at
time.

If you are doing a full volume copy i expect your sysin should look something
like this:-

COPY FULL ALLX ALLDATA(*) IDY(TS0002) ODY(XX12C0) -
COPYVOLID PURGE OPT(4)

or you may use INDD OUTDD for your volume selection

Other criteria to consider, region size on your jobcard or pgm; number of
available channels; whether you want to copy your disks when in use or not.

Using a product like softek's tdmf will allow for in flight disk copys.
If you don't ahve it, then dfdss should only be used for packs when not in use.

With dfdss you need to cater for the volume ids on the source & target volumes,
so you may want to add steps to "clip" (ickdsf reformat) the source volume
before the dfdss copy and "clip" the target volume to the original source name
after the copy.
This will keep it isolated and stop inadvertant access to the original source
volume.

Good luck!

Dave