Hello,
further to this query and the oddity of Optimize being tolerated for dfdss full
copy but not documented, i emailed one of the guys who present's the "What's
new in dss...." share sessions asking for clarifcation and they were kind
enough to send on to R & D who gave the response.

Here's the reply.

"Hi David,

Thank you for your questions.  You are correct, Optimize is only valid for
dump.  Optimize for copy was prototyped 20+ years ago, but was never intended
to be shipped as part of the product.  I understand you do see some performance
gains when running your copy commands, but the code is not fully developed.  We
will take an APAR and are considering two approaches:
1.      ignore the OPTIMIZE keyword for the COPY command.  This means that
existing jobs that specify OPTIMIZE on COPY that run today would continue to
run, however, they will be forced to OPTIMIZE(1).
2.      cause a syntax error when OPTIMIZE is specified on the COPY command.
This means existing jobs that specify OPTIMIZE on COPY that run today would now
fail.

We would appreciate any comments you have on whether we should take one
approach over the other.  Also, if you would like to see OPTIMIZE for COPY
fully supported I would ask you open a marketing requirement.  A requirement
will help get that work prioritized amongst other requirements.

Thank you again,
Robert Gensler
DFSMSdss Architecture and Development
Tucson, AZ"

Nice people to talk to.

In the short term, i think the first apar option is probably desirable rather
the second as they need to cater for the fact its unsupported and mitigate for
any unforseen consequences of its usage, but longer term, getting it fully
deployed & supported on copy, if only for "Copy Full" would be the way to go,
so i'd say opening a marketing requirement would be the preferred approach.

An invitation hard to refuse.
The more requests they get the more likely it is to happen so anyone attending
the next few "shares" could bring it up too.

Dave