On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 19:41:10 +0000, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, at 19:27, Rich Tabor wrote:
>
>       LINKAGE SECTION.
>       01  FLD1  PIC X(08).
>       01  FLD2  PIC X(08).
>       01  FLD3  PIC X(20).
> /* REXX */
> CBLPGM = 'TST01'
> FLD1 = SUBSTR('AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA',1,80)
> FLD2 = SUBSTR('BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB',1,80)
> FLD3 = SUBSTR('CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC',1,80)
> SAY 'FLD1 =' FLD1
> SAY 'FLD2 =' FLD2
> SAY 'FLD3 =' FLD3
> ADDRESS LINKPGM CBLPGM "FLD1 FLD2 FLD3"
>

>The logic inside support for "linkpgm" knows that the first value it
>receives is the program name, not a variable containing it, and the
>other values are the name of variables.  Linkpgm will )in this case)
>build the parm list with three parm addresses in it.

The lengths don't match.  Is this an invitation to buffer overflow?
Is it simply incumbent on the programmer to ensure that the
actual parameters are no shorter than the formal parameters?

I assume the names don't matter; only the addresses.

I'm not a COBOL programmer.  GIYF -- I found:
    http://www.simotime.com/cblpar01.htm
       LINKAGE SECTION.
       01  PARM-BUFFER.
           05  PARM-LENGTH         pic S9(4)   comp.
           05  PARM-DATA           pic X(256).
With declarations of that form, would it work to use ADDRESS LINKMVS
rather than LINKPGM?

-- gil