Jeremy,

I have to disagree with you here about access to read (not modify) production
data by application developers.  Full read access to production data
(especially when the quantities are very large and cannot easily be copied to
"test" disk pools which are usually much smaller than production) is a critical
problem solving and research tool.

I deal with very large quantities of "production" data every day for both
client issue resolution and business function enhancement research.  Simple
examples are "How many widgets does client xyz process in a day?  In a week?
In a month?  And what application characteristics did we apply to the client
processing of that widget (or ones of similar type abc)?".

I do understand that possible malfeasance by bad-actor "insiders" like
application programmers is considered a business risk, but the solution is not
to prevent normal, every-day read access to those insiders, but to limit the
actual PII data available to them via masked files.

In the case that even masking files is difficult or impossible due to the
inherent vast volume of the data, the only reasonable real-world solution is
"trust but verify" your employee's activities.

Denying access by programmers to production data is a disaster all by itself
for any kind of reasonable and necessary client issue resolution time scale and
for reasonable business function enhancement research timelines.

I do agree that PII data should usually be masked for application programmer
access if at all possible (it certainly is where I work), but in the Mr.
Reichman's case just about the entire data contents is PII.  "Trust but verify"
is the only reasonable business solution in his case, absent vast duplication
of huge quantities of data for masked copies.  And remember our tax dollars
have to pay for that duplication.

Various implementations of so-called "break glass" procedures to assign special
temporary system identifiers for programmers to gain access to un-masked
production data frequently ignores the fact that the programmer also needs
access to all their non-production tools and libraries while using the
production data.  I have never seen such a process that actually works when
time is of the essence (e.g., a serious production-stopping issue).

Peter