I am running 4 lpars in a LPAR group with group capacity set to 12 MSU. This
is on a 5-way, z14 with a total of 756 MSU. Which is, give or take, 151 MSU/CP.
We are on  path toward decommissioning after we finish archiving the historical
data. All production applications have shifted to cloud base services. ☹ We
intend/hope to go to lower soft caps to save z/OS licensing costs.

  With just the softcap in place, it doesn’t take very long for a CPU intensive
task to raise us above 12 MSU 4-hour moving average, kicking in the cap for
extended times. Just a short burst of SAS can do it.

   Recently, while looking the HMC screens , I noticed “Absolute Capping from
Cps” on the HMC LPAR Group screen. I had hoped that I could define a MAX MSU
control here, probably about 24. (we lived on a z9 with about that per CP for a
decade) But, this setting is “Number of processors (0.01 to 255.00)”. Which
doesn’t appear to be what I hoped, or need.

   Is there a way to accomplish my need (limit the height of CPU peaks)?

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University