All,

Maybe a really dumb answer so please do help me shape my understanding.

If it's known jobs/user programs that cause the spike,
a) Would it help if they were put on discretionary service class?
b) How about using automation to RESET xxxx,QUIESCE and RESET xxxx,RESUME to
freeze the CPU-hungry address space, to keep the growth of 4hra controlled?

Alternatively, with one of the RMF address spaces (RMFGAT or RMFM3B), you can
use one of the relevant CLIST/REXXs in SYS1.SERBCLS
to print out 4hra and MSU Actual every 2 mins or so.
Then, when it goes past a threshold, you can use automation to RESET
QUIESCE/RESUME to throttle that particular task.
This should give you room to work in before 4hra hits the DefCap.

The business-y answer is to get a product to manage this for you.
But yeah, the above RMF WTO-based feedback loop is what I would go for,
considering that your shop is winding down anyway.

Also if possible, I'd look at what's causing those CPU spikes and consider
moving it around to 4hra quieter times.
A game of whack-a-mole...

- KB