From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 12:39 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] Enqueue during VSAM REPRO - Who is the culprit

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 13:10:16 -0500, Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

     //SYSUT42  DD  DISP=OLD,CONFLICT={SILENT|REPORT},...

That option should likewise be available on SVC 99, and on the ENQ
macro itself.

I could just as easily see an implementation that supported an integer,
with the extreme values (0, max) corresponding to SILENT and REPORT,
with intermediate values being the number of messages you want to see
(per DD or per step?).

Agreed. At our site we have MIM, which sends an alert not just once, but every sixty seconds, to the culprit and to the victim and to the operator's
console; job log or culprit's TSO session.

But not to a z/OS UNIX session if that happens to be the culprit.
Go figger.  Half-hearted implementation, or some lower part of the
anatomy?

Should I blame CA for not employing a mechanism that IBM might provide, or
IBM for not providing the mechanism?

-- gil

--------------------------------------------------------------------- - For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to