On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:44:59 -0500, David Devine wrote:

>I think DanD hit it on the head with his suggestion about using infile &
>outfile dd statements instead of ids & ods.
>Ids & Ods use a disp of "old" during dynamic allocation.

IDS, even?  I'd expect SHR to suffice for IDS.

>I have a sneaky feeling that your job is contending with itself because grs or
>mim can't always see quickly enough that the dataset is free'd after the
>del/def.
>As the message is an IKJ its implying that its all done within a TSO rexx
>routine and rexx is quite well know for erratic behaviour.

I believe Rexx messages are IRX; TSO are IKJ.

The news of Rexx's "erratic behavior" hadn't reached me.  Can you
cite an example?

>Do you have explicit close & free's coded in your rexx for the dataset prior
>to the final repro?

Can contention occur within a single address space?

>In any event, I'd suggest changing your repro to hardcoded infile outfile dd's
>with a disp of shr.

Wouldn't EXC be safer for OUTFILE?

The Info cited earlier says that VSAM ENQs on QNAME VSAM; allocation
ENOs on SYSDSN.  Does VSAM additionally ENQ on SYSDSN?  Which
does REPRO use?

-- gil