Bruce,

Your environment is not dissimilar to our setup at Rocket. We create a read only file system for ported tools which is shared across LPARs and Sysplexes. We don't update ported tools that frequently but when we do there is the usual backout plan you would expect from a mainframe shop. We have very experienced systems programmers maintaining our systems and the dev teams are dependent on ported tools.

If you're purchasing a service contract you may want to ask about the feasibility of SMP/E installation. We already do it for Zowe. At least the PT team could have a ticket on their backlog if there's enough interest.