On 8/05/2021 3:15 am, Tony Harminc wrote:
We've tried to encourage our young guys to
join this forum and participate in questions about ported tools and
Zowe. Unfortunately they become frustrated with the topic drift and
nostalgia threads and unsubscribe.
Maybe as your young guys mature they will learn the value of a broader
outlook than the narrow technical focus they are currently working
with. Maybe they'll even learn how to use the basic tools at their
disposal to manage their emails appropriately, and avoid the various
nostalgia threads if they wish.

I doubt it. Rocket Forums are a superior tool. You can highlight code, create links and there is sophisticated search. Email used to be the best tool for job 30 years ago but it's not now. If you head over to Slack Overflow you will see the millennial's are asking their mainframe questions there and there's a lot of old timers including IBMers answering them.

There are also a lot of Slack channels available with participants from
IBM and vendors which make a mailing group look a bit dusty.
I would rather have my forum run by a well known university using
standard interfaces than by a for-profit corporation worth a reputed
$27.7 billion who intentionally made their product
standards-incompatible.

I disagree. We use slack internally and it's revolutionized our internal communication.  There are channels per topic of interest. When somebody posts on the forum a web hook posts to the ported tools Slack channel. An unmoderated e-mail based forum quickly becomes unusable especially when topics start to drift as they inevitably do on here. On stack overflow moderators quickly block the threads when the waffle starts.

How many vendor and commercially hosted fora have been "disappeared",
the archives lost, or the company simply been acquired or gone out of
business. The latest fad one day, and gone and forgotten in a few
years. This mailing list and its archives have been around for 30+
years.

And what happens when the university eventually shuts down the mailing list? BMC had to take over hosting the IMS-L mailing list. Will IBMMAIN migrate to Google Groups?

Tony H.