Comments interspersed, prefixed by GT:

On 2021-07-01 20:46 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
Thanks.  I haven't Vista to play with, and others have said here that Vista
captures screens only as bitmaps, not acceptable on this list.

GT: Not true. Any rectangular selection can be made using the mouse. That's useful for copying chunks of code and pasting it into other programs, email messages, chat clients, issue trackers, and so on. Seeing your comment about what others have said, I had to go look to see if Vista even has the ability to produce a bitmap image, and I don't see one.The Edit menu in the window mode contains an assortment of advanced copy and paste options, none of which I've played with. I can't show you those because they are Windows menus and capturing those would require Windows print screen.

however, in:https://www.tombrennansoftware.com/multiple.html
I read:
     Each time something is Cut or Copied, the data is stored in
     Copybuffer 1, and also into the Windows Clipboard.

Ideally then, one might Select the entire screen; Copy; and Paste into
an editor such as Notepad++ or directly into a message to this list.

How does that procedure treat:
o Multi-line fields?
o Attribute bytes?
o Highlighting?
GT: You get plain text in the clipboard.

There are competing objectives:
o A programmer might want to Copy even a multi-line field as a string
   with no formatting.
GT: Works like a charm.
o A writer of documentation or the OP to this thread might want a
   visually faithful image of the screen.
GT: For this, the best thing I've seen is HTML-formatted screen shots from x3270.

--

Regards, Gord Tomlin
Action Software International