From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 10:02 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Copy RECFM=VBS/LRECL=X to zFS?

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 09:34:07 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>The DD:ddname format for a "legacy" dataset is a supported and documented
>feature of the C runtime library (even if not specifically for cat).

The "cat" developers are understandably unwilling to document and
support that behavior of "cat".  At  very least they'd need to specify
the behavior when allocation options conflict with options on the
"cat" command.  (I suppose "unpredictable" would suffice.)  Bottom
line: if it breaks, either immediately or at the next release, you get
to keep both pieces.

Related: I once allocated a RECFM=VB data set, overriding to
RECFM=U and fetched it from DD:SYSUTx with FTP BINARY.
I expected to see BDWs/RDWs.  Didn't.  In effect, FTP used the
attributes from the DSCB and ignored the allocated attributes.
"cat" might have similarly unexpected behavior.

-- gil