On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 04:47:52 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>By practical experimentation, I found that z/OS Unix awk uses fopen().

How can you be sure?  You haven't seen the source code.

>I'll bet the cat utility does too but that cp uses open().

From the UNIX Command Ref. for "cp":
    1. To specify an MVS data set name, precede the name with
       double slashes (//). For example, to specify the fully qualified
       data set names 'turbo.gammalib' and 'turbo.gammalib(pgm1)', write:
          "//'turbo.gammalib'"
          "//'turbo.gammalib(pgm1)'"
-- gil