Charles wrote:

>I wrote a (successful!) product that in one very peripheral feature took an
>operand that could represent a member name in a default PDS, a dataset
name,
>or a zFS file name. I differentiated among the three based on length and
the
>presence or absence of periods and/or slashes. No one ever complained that
>they had a dataset or a zFS file named SHORTNAM and could not reference it.
>I think the convenience and simplicity of being able to say simply
>FILENAME(whatever) outweighed the perils of the ambiguity. Product design
>involves tradeoffs.

Agreed, this isn't tricky. If it starts with a slash (or possibly a period),
it's a USS file; otherwise it isn't. So a zFS file named SHORTNAM would be
listed as /u/whatever/SHORTNAM or, at worse, ./SHORTNAM and it Just Works.

>From the USS side, support DD:ddname as a filename and you're good (from C
I'm not actually sure you can avoid supporting that). We have such a use
case and have never had a problem with it.

...phsiii