Having wrestled with this issue for decades, I've come to adopt Mainframe
as a generic term that most people recognize. (Ignoring the technowienies
that debate the term endlessly.) No one argues with the term or even
questions it. It covers hardware and software. You can use other terms if
you need to get more specific.

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 11:34 AM Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> Agreed. Saying MVS makes you look old-fashioned, even though MVS still
> exists (I guess?) as a component of z/OS. Saying z/OS is limiting.
>
> Ditto for the hardware. It is a little wordy to say "I have been writing
> assembler for the S/360, S370, S/390 and z." (And I guess now Telum?)
>
> Does that name lead to a who's on first dialog?
>
> "What's that new IBM chip called?"
> "Telum"
> "I'd like to tell 'em, but I don't know what it's called."
> "Telum"
> "Tell 'em what?"
> "The name of the chip."
> "I don't know the name of the chip."