On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 14:46:50 -0400, Bob Bridges wrote:

>I find that a lot, that tech-support people are fine with alpha-bravo-charlie.
> Most other people have to think about it; one is reduced to saying "em as in
>mike, vee as in victor, ess as in sierra" and so on.

Emergency responders haven't time for that.

>    ... I'm long supposed that tech-support people, and their ilk (sysprogs
> for instance), often have to spell things so they've acquainted themselves
> with a good way of doing it.

When I got in the field, I heard Able, Baker,Charlie, Dog, Eazy, Fox.  (WWII?)
That's all that was needed.

>    ... (There's an ASCII adaptation of the IPA that's actually pretty handy.
> Only problem is, no one's ever seen it, except a few of us geeks.  If we all
> understood that you could have written "/aI Ef ti/", without fear of
> ambiguity.)

But no good for audio.  If I need to spell something out for local authorities,
I use the modal NATO codes.  I don't carry all their wallet cards.

-- gil