Some goverment agencies are replacing
their mainframe COBOL with java.
I dont see a payoff. I think this is
driven by contracting companies who
will make money off the conversion and
managers who do not know anything about
programming languages but read somewhere
that COBOL is out of date.

Many agencies and companies used to have
in house COBOL, JCL, etc training. Now
they just say they cant find programmers
who know COBOL. Most of the people I worked
with 20 years ago had learned COBOL on the
JOB.

Some agencies want to move data bases
from mainframe DB2 to some kind of
cloud data base.

I tried to get Zowe working. No one
is using it here. From what I saw of the
interface I like ISPF edit better with
add in edit macros and REXX EXECs that
I learned about on IBM-MAIN. Zowe told
me it couldnt find java even thought I
kept entering the location in what looked
like the right spot. I gave up. This interface
might appeal to kids who learn COBOL though.

I used to use smart batch pipes works
in REXX which was nice. I learned about it
on IBM-MAIN. Later they shut it off and said
I was the ONLY one using it in my shop and
wanted to know how I leared about it.
(IBM-MAIN) I just tried TSO PIPE and it worked
so... If IBM is loosing market share, perhaps
things like smart batch pipes works should
be free ?