And I can venture an unofficial answer to the licensing portion of the
question, I think....

IBM abolished the "Single Version Charge" (SVC) limitation quite some time
ago, and both z/OS Version 1 and z/OS Version 2 should have the same
license charge. There's a possible bit of daylight if the optional
chargeable features/elements vary. For example, certain fonts are now
incorporated into the base z/OS operating system, so that might be a minor
"win" if applicable.

z/OS 2.2 is past its End of Service date, but an optional chargeable
Service Extension (defect support only) is still available until September
30, 2023.

Commercially speaking I suggest you (your customer) give IBM (and other
vendors, if applicable) the opportunity to craft a proposal with an IBM
z15 T02 and z/OS 2.5. That might be a more sensible approach commercially
and technically rather than "patch and pray." Just to pick a random
example, IBM didn't add TLS 1.3 support to z/OS until z/OS 2.4 AT-TLS. And
I don't think TLS 1.2 was available until z/OS 2.1 (retrofitted to z/OS
1.13). There are currently known security concerns with TLS prior to 1.2,
and maybe 1.3 will eventually/soon be the new minimum secure baseline.

Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com