I don't know why BAKR/PR is "slow" either, but I do know that it's not
really significant except in very intense usage.  I worked on a product
that used it for all calls except small internal subroutines.  And avoided
a whole bunch of errors caused by mismatched linkage conventions, not to
mention state changes to mode, amode, and ascmode.  And benefitted from the
nice stack trace in dumps.

As for automatic stack expansion, that's probably a bad idea.  You can
adjust the stack size if needed, but you are probably in trouble (a loop)
if you need more than a ~100 entries.

sas