The replies to my recent post are adding to my arguments.

Adding dozens of new ways to get something to do actual work does not get final
goals done faster.   The actual work that the users (remember them) need do not
care how cleverly the software is installed.   They just want it now (or
yesterday) .  Sooner or later the rubber has to meet the road.

Docker, noDocker, Anaconda, miniconda, rpm, and all the many items seen in the
replies just look to me like a series of new learning curves that stand between
and getting the job done.     It becomes a learning/training nightmare when you
are getting paid for results.

I am reminded of  reading job openings where they were looking for 10 years of
experience in a software that has only been available for 2 years.    If you
really wanted the job you had to find a polite way to point out their lack of
knowledge.