On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:03:01 +0800, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Didn't CA create the Chorus Software Manager that was generally very
>well received by the community. I haven't used it but I heard that
>installing mainframe software using SMP/E was as easy as installing a
>browser add-on using the Web UI. As for Linux package managers, they are
>so simple to use. I use debian systems and can install a complex
>software product such as
>Docker simply by using the "sudo apt install docker" command. Even
>Windows has a package manager now and "winget install python" from
>PowerShell is much simplier than downloading an MSI installer or fussy
>around with a GUI like Windows Store.

Installing software on Ubuntu, you can use:

- Ubuntu software center
- APT
- Synaptic Package Manager
- Downloadable packages (.deb)
  - Installing with APT
  - Installing with dpkg
  - Installing via the GUI
- Compiling from source code

If like me you support various distros, then you're going to have to remember
some of these, and this is a very cutdown list of installers:

- apk-tools (apk): Alpine Package Keeper, the package manager for Alpine Linux;
- Flatpak: A containerized/sandboxed packaging format previously known as
xdg-app;
- netpkg: The package manager used by Zenwalk. Compatible with Slackware
package management tools;
- Nix Package Manager: Nix is a powerful package manager for Linux and other
Unix systems that makes package management reliable and reproducible. It
provides atomic upgrades and rollbacks, side-by-side installation of multiple
versions of a package, multi-user package management and easy setup of build
environments;
- OpenPKG: Cross-platform package management system based on RPM Package
Manager;
- opkg: Fork of ipkg lightweight package management intended for use on
embedded Linux devices;
- Pacman: Used in Arch Linux, Frugalware and DeLi Linux. Its binary package
format is a zstd-compressed tar archive (file extension: .pkg.tar.zst) built
using the makepkg utility (which comes bundled with pacman) and a specialized
type of shell script called a PKGBUILD;
- PETget: Used by Puppy Linux;
- RPM Package Manager: Created by Red Hat. RPM is the Linux Standard Base
packaging format and the base of a number of additional tools, including
apt4rpm, Red Hat's up2date, Mageia's urpmi, openSUSE's ZYpp (zypper), PLD
Linux's poldek, Fedora's DNF, and YUM, which is used by Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, and Yellow Dog Linux;

   - probably the one most people know of but each distro seems to have it's
own implementation so you have to know how to use each different one

- slapt-get: Which is used by Slackware and works with a binary package format
that is essentially a xz-compressed tar archive with the file extension .txz;
- Smart Package Manager: Used by CCux Linux;
- Snappy: Cross-distribution package manager, non-free on the server-side,
originally developed for Ubuntu;
- Zero Install (0install): Cross-platform packaging and distributions software.
It is available for Arch Linux, Debian, Knoppix, Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo,
OpenSUSE, Red Hat and Slackware;

So now I've installed python using the package manager for the distro, I then
want to install packages at an application level. For example, if I want to
install python packages, I then have to use pip and so on (Go, Gradle, Maven,
Yam, et.) and now on z/OS we have miniconda...When will it ever stop?

Sebastian