I agree with almost everything he says. Python is light years better than REXX. Of course, that's subjective but it IMO it's in a different league. I've been working with YAML configs recently and Python has a very nice YAML library. No such luck with REXX, especially classic REXX on z/OS.

Instagrams back-end is written in Python. It would be stretching plausibility to breaking point to even suggest that REXX could do a similar job.