From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
René Jansen
Sent: Wednesday, January 5, 2022 6:56 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python instead of REXX for z/OS

I also salute the CICS guys, who seem to have free reign to put everything in
CICS that is available elsewhere. I agree that IBM should make mainframe
emulators freely available, not only for universities. IBM should realize that
mainframes are not unlike long distance calls; any telco that does not realize
that the revenue of that is going away, is lost. The more we work on
‘modernization’, the sooner the field will be levelled. If young employees
don’t want to work on 3270 tube images or JCL, maybe we should stop hiring
prima donna’s but instead disadvantaged people who want to work and learn
something.

Tragically, the true value of the mainframe, which is realized in all those
products you call old, is not realized in those ‘modern’ programming paradigms
- remember the first TCP implementation for MVS ? - it ran like a dog and
chewed up whole lpars while VTAM still did the work. This was of course because
it was a straight port of the code for some other architecture.

 Moving to other tools while they are not ripe for the environment would be
irrational. I don’t know what happened to the budget for Swift on z/OS but I
hope you see what I mean. A port of Python that is not ready will accomplish
the same thing. Your prima donna’s will complain that library X, Y or Z is
still not available on the mainframe and pressure their management to go off it
- I see that happen every day, while fighting performance myths and disasters
caused by ‘modern’. It is undeniable that git - which I love and use every day,
is much more complicated on z/OS because of EBCDIC, access methods, records and
block sizes. This is the reality and we should not deny it to please people who
learned to allocate a file with ‘touch test.txt’. They will get stuck without
that knowledge and hate their work even more.

We all have different tastes and that is one thing, another thing is when that
taste is driven by commercial interests. And still another when those interests
are going against the best interest of the platform.

Best regards,

René.